Sunday, May 13, 2012

Volunteering in Nepal

By Maya (Meike), Netherlands
Volunteer, Joining Hands Nepal



When I searched for a destination for my gap year, I chose Nepal. And when I decided this, I knew almost immediately that I wanted to do volunteer work at an orphanage. Volunteer work would be the best way to explore the country for me. I love to travel, and besides that there are thousands of orphans in Nepal, so it would be nice if I could roll up my sleeves and help. But where to start? I preferred a natural surrounding, fresh air and a peaceful environment so I did not feel much for staying in Kathmandu while volunteering. The people from Travel Active were telling me that they had just visited an orphanage in a littler place than Kathmandu, called Panauti. Kevin was so enthusiastic about this place and the orphanage, that he really wanted me to go there. I agreed. And I’m so happy! It is unbelievable how much someone can do in one year. The orphanage Joining Hands Nepal in Panauti is the best place you could wish for a child needing help. I still don’t know all of their stories, but I could already see from the first moment on the kids here are very happy now. I left Kathmandu on Monday morning with Himal, the leader and founder of Joining Hands Nepal. We had to drive by bus for only one and a half hours to get out of the busy city, into the wonderful fields and mountains of Panauti. What a difference! We walked for about 10 minutes from the bus parking lot to the orphanage. A small, but impressive orange building with a lot of balconies raised up in front of me. And surprise, surprise… Eight smiling faces were laughing and waving at me, walking up that hill with Himal, into the hot sun of Nepal.

“Hello, Sister,” they yelled, “How are you doing, sister? What is your name, sister?” James, Johnny, Clara, Maria, Louisa, Brian, Christina and Rachel. They were smiling and talking to me. It was amazing, they looked so glad to see me! It felt good from the first moment on. We had a welcome ceremony and then we played games, till the daily English Conversation Class at half past six. After that, around eight o’clock, we ate Dal Bhat for dinner. Then Clara, the youngest, fell asleep while eating our evening Dal Bhat, tired of another happy day, judging by her face. How sweet. It was bedtime. At ten o'clock it was almost silent in the orphanage. And so ended my first day in Panauti, “I think I can make something out of my time here,” I thought happily. And it seems to be true so far. Panauti is great, you guys rock!

The mornings here always start with morning tea at 6, a little bit early for me. At seven the kids start doing their homework: girls in the girls' room, boys in the boys' room. At 8 o’clock we play games and do a warming up for the morning exercises to get warm and stay healthy. Then we have our first Dal Bhat of the day and with a full belly of rice we get the kids ready for their school day. At half past nine they leave in a duck-a-like walking line to the school. How sweet! Around 5 o’clock you can prepare to hear all of the sweet little voices again. Singing, playing, asking, laughing, talking, until bedtime. It’s almost unbelievable how much life and good spirit you will find in this family! Yesterday I baked pancakes and today I will help Sarida to cook Nepalese food. I opened my eyes and saw how much there is to learn and exchange! I will only stay here for two more weeks, but I certainly will learn, teach, play and help at the Joining Hands Nepal Orphange as much as is possible. Just because it feels so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment